YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE
There are so many things you can do. We'll keep things simple.
Bookmark this page, and come back for what you can do NOW
Your Westside Dem HQ is going strong
If you agree, call or email your Assemblymember (ours is Richard Bloom) in support
- stop our momentum forward for healthcare, childcare, social justice, prison reform, and so much more
- appoint judges across our state (and we've seen how important judges are!)
- hold us all hostage to anti-vaxxers, anti-maskers, and right-wing conspiracists
- appoint Congresspeople and US Senators when an opening occurs
PCHS members of Human Rights Watch's Student Task Force have taken it upon themselves to lead the charge on this.
April update on the Republican effort to recall Gov. Newsom:
Eager to fight back?
CLICK HERE for a new CA Dem Party toolkit that's got a ton of info and guidance on how best to help
The California Democratic Party (CADEM) announced a contribution of $250,000 to fight the Republican-led effort to recall Gavin Newsom.
“The California Democratic Party unequivocally opposes the Republican attempt to recall Governor Gavin Newsom,” stated Rusty Hicks, Chair of CADEM. “The Republican National Committee, wealthy Trump donors and right-wing extremists have joined forces to disrupt California’s road to recovery. Despite the efforts by the GOP to take us back to some of our darkest days, CADEM is prepared to mobilize our grassroots people power and make it clear to voters that the Democratic Party is the only party focused on protecting the health and safety of all Californians and their families,” continued Hicks.
The Stop the Republican Recall campaign is a diverse coalition made up of Democrats and prominent progressives including Senator Elizabeth Warren, Senator Bernie Sanders, Senator Alex Padilla, Senator Cory Booker, Congressmember Ro Khanna, Congresswoman Katie Porter, and Stacey Abrams.
“Rather than supporting California’s pandemic recovery, Republicans are choosing to shift the focus and attention away from those who need it most. Sadly, chaos is the playbook for the Republican Party - and it’s time for Democrats to unite to forcefully reject the Republican recall of our Governor,” Hicks continued.
Join us in getting our pro-science, pro-working families message out to 10 million plus CA Democrats. We can out-organize and out-mobilize the conservative dark money donors looking to swamp CA with their attacks & lies.
Donate here, and watch this space for further actions.
CLICK HERE for the full toolkit and join the fight!
We MUST reform the filibuster and pass the For the People Act
After Covid relief, nothing is more important than passing the For the People Act. The House passed their version, H.R. 1, on March 3, 2021. If passage in the Senate takes reforming the filibuster in ways acceptable to Sens. Manchin and Sinema, then that's what must be done, without hesitation. And now Manchin is back to saying he won't budge — won't even consider changes. Very frustrating.
All Americans should agree that the more often people who are eligible to vote exercise that right, the better. And that the rich should not be able to buy elections. Let's rally behind this cause as fervently as we fought for change in November 2020! Otherwise a rigged, suppressive system may silence us permanently at the polls.
The For the People Act may be our last chance to save American democracy.
Please sign the petition, call your Senators, write letters, make noise! These sites make it easy:
Cool campaign to defund Fox News
Watch this space for action info to be posted after our
March 7, 2021 event on the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact
Till then, RSVP for the event here
PREVIOUS EVENT FOLLOW-UPS AND ACTIONS
Follow-up to June 18, 2020 George Gascón town hall
** George Gascón **
for L.A. County District Attorney
Thu., June 18, 2020, 7 – 8 PM
Missed the meeting but want to learn more or contribute to a candidate committed to major criminal justice reforms if elected L.A. district attorney?
Follow-up to our June 16, 2020 event
Our Public Schools: Meeting New Challenges & Moving Forward
with LAUSD board member Nick Melvoin, Palisades Charter High School Black Student Union President Kalkidan Alemayehu, and PPDC's Susan Haskell
Below are some of the organizations and sources mentioned during the event. We hope you will check them out and take action!
- To sign the petition to support Assembly Bill 331 for ethnic studies in schools go to ethnicstudiesnow.com
- To learn more about anti-racism and how to take a more active and participatory stance for racial justice go to awarela.org/white-people-4-black-lives
- To learn more about and ally with Black Lives Matter go to blmla.org
- To volunteer for the upcoming elections go to westsidedemhq.org
- If you have not already, please immediately fill out the census and share with your family and friends. The census determines how much federal money the state and our communities receive. 2020census.gov
- To purchase your 2020 Election merchandise and find out about upcoming Pacific Palisades Democratic Club events please visit our website at www.palidems.org
Clean Money -- get big $$ out of politics!
Excited about the prospects of a Green New Deal, and glad Biden/Harris's $2 trillion
Plan for a Clean Energy Revolution and Environmental Justice adopted many of its principles
after consulting with Bernie Sanders, AOC, and other progressives?
Your PaliDems have been strong supporters of a Green New Deal and sent letters to Sens. Feinstein and Harris, along with Rep. Ted Lieu, to urge them to champion it. Read our letter here, and if you're inspired, call the Congressional switchboard at 202-224-3121 to tell their offices how you feel!
More background here on why Republicans are attacking the very idea of a GND and the Biden/Harris plan
Follow-up to our March 26, 2019
Hot Topic Speaker Series event
Addicted: The Opioid Crisis in Our Backyard
Post-event action items:
1. Clare/MATRIX is a substance-abuse nonprofit in Santa Monica. It is also one of only two state licensed "hubs" for the new Hub and Spoke program. This program brings providers -- "spokes" -- together around one "hub" to make treatment more efficient. Amanda Cowan is the Outreach Director for this project at Clare/MATRIX. Her phone number is 323-933-2289. Her email address is [email protected].
2. Allison Towle, the District Director in State Senator Ben Allen's office, spoke about current opioid legislation. There are 14 bills currently active in CA. There is now an Amendment to SB Bill 486, tightening controls on Recovery Houses, that needs constituent support. The best way to support this bill is for groups or individuals to write letters addressed to the primary author Senator Patricia Bates. Her legislative director Sarah Couch is collecting letters of support and can receive them at her email address: [email protected]. The Bill can be found here: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201920200SB486.
3. The Los Angeles Field Division of the DEA sent Jena Fellenzer, their Community Outreach Specialist. She is interested in getting into any high schools to make her presentation about drug use prevention outreach and education. Anyone with points of contact can reach Jenna at 213-621-6948 or by email at [email protected].
4. Captain Haro from the Los Angeles Fire Department spoke about her field experience handling overdoses. She noted that if civilians make the decision to purchase NARCAN (brand name for Naloxone) to keep on hand for a family or community member, they need to be properly trained. In the best circumstances, NARCAN can reverse an opioid overdose. Anyone who has suffered an overdose NEEDS to be evaluated medically at an ER. 911 should be called immediately.
Training for the use of NARCAN can be acquired here: http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/sapc/prevention/PM/092718/HHCLAODPPresentation.pdf
DIABLO CANYON -- TEST IT NOW
We have only days for the state to conduct independent safety testing of the Diablo Canyon Nuclear Unit I, located about 170 miles outside of L.A., while it is shut down for refueling. Please sign this petition to the Governor.
A Fukushima-like meltdown would cause a mass migration out of California, and because coastal winds always blow inland, Diablo's radioactive clouds would irradiate and poison the fruits and vegetables that flourish in our fantastic Central Growing Valley. Diablo's radioactive clouds would also contaminate the drinking water that flows from the Sierra Mountains, through the Central Valley and into cities like San Francisco and Los Angeles.
If there is a meltdown at Diablo, much of California and its economy would be destroyed.
Click here to read the letter PPDC is sending and that you can send to elected officials.
RESTART L.A. GAS PLANTS? NO WAY
California is aiming for 100% clean energy. But Los Angeles might invest billions in fossil fuels -- Los Angeles Times
From Mike Bonin: "I am 100% with environmental activists on this. It’s certainly not an issue without complexity, but I simply cannot support reinvesting more money in fossil fuels. We’re killing our planet. I’d encourage you to endorse the letter" (that PPDC has indeed endorsed -- read it here). Learn more about the issue here:
2/12/19 UPDATE: Great news: We seem to have won on this! Again according to the L.A. Times,
Los Angeles is abandoning a plan to spend billions of dollars rebuilding three natural gas power plants along the coast, Mayor Eric Garcetti said Monday, in a move to get the city closer to its goal of 100% renewable energy and improve air quality in highly polluted communities. (Full article here)
Or read about it here: http://www.palisadesnews.com/index.php/2019/02/13/power-plants-shut-down/
Nice to have good news for a change. All thanks to the activism of people like you who made their voices heard.
WE NEED A BETTER WAY TO FIGHT FIRES
The Palisades Dem Club is supporting the idea, proposed by our friends at the Malibu Dem Club, of a California Fire Reserve Corps. Read the proposal here (scroll down to middle of page -- whole page is filled with great ideas).
PPDC has also endorsed Physicians for a National Healthcare Plan's call to action regarding a new Medicare-for-All bill Rep. Pramila Jayapal introduced in the House.
Read about it here and let's all follow their advice and make some calls! PNHP action page here.
Ask your rep. to co-sponsor the Medicare for All Act
- Write an email using our simple webform
- Call the U.S. Capitol Switchboard at (202) 224-3121
- Tag your rep. on social media using the hashtags #SinglePayer and #MedicareForAll
• Supreme Court -- Without winning back the Senate, this is a tough one. Click here to see the many letters we sent to Senators in opposition to the Kavanaugh nomination.
COMPLETED ACTIONS follow -- thank you for your participation!
For months MoveOn.org organized rapid-response rallies in the event that Mueller, Rosenstein, or Sessions got fired -- as happened November 7 with the forced resignation of Sessions.
Rallies all around L.A. were held at 5 PM on November 8
• Thanks to all who helped flip the House from red to blue at our Westside Dem HQ or local phone bank (Pac Pal, Santa Monica, Brentwood, Cuver City).
• You said NO to AB 84 by calling Senate Elections Committee.
OPPOSE the State Senate's taking up AB 84. Stop corporations and wealthy interests from the power grab that allows them to circumvent campaign finance laws and amass power within our state legislature.
UPDATE 8/24/18: Ding dong, the bill is dead...
Congratulations to all who called -- it worked!
This one didn't go our way, but we tried. Click here for more information