YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE
There are so many things you can do. We'll keep things simple. Bookmark this page, and come back for what you can do NOW:
Clean Money -- get big $$ out of politics!
Excited about the prospects of a Green New Deal?
The PaliDems are, and we've sent letters
to Sens. Feinstein and Harris, along with Rep. Ted Lieu, to urge them to champion it. Read our letter here, and if you're inspired, call the Congressional switchboard at 202-224-3121 to tell their offices how you feel!
More background here on why Republicans are attacking the very idea of a GND.
Letter Writing, Phone Banking & Texting
now Tuesdays in Brentwood!
NOTE: Info on next session to come -- watch this space
We now have our first Virginia House of Delegates candidate to support, Larry Barnett -- the only Democratic Candidate in his district for the Virginia primary!
Please join us locally in Los Angeles for weekly voter engagement opportunities, or participate remotely from home.
Brentwood/West L.A. (Location 1)
Sponsored by Code Blue, Swing Left Westside, VST-West L.A. Dem Club, Westchester/Playa Dem Club, Stonewall Dem Club, Pacific Palisades Dem Club
Please remember to bring your cell phone, laptop/tablet, chargers, and headphones to make calls!
Follow-up to our March 26, 2019
Hot Topic Speaker Series event
Addicted: The Opioid Crisis in Our Backyard
Post-event action items:
1. Clare/MATRIX is a substance-abuse nonprofit in Santa Monica. It is also one of only two state licensed "hubs" for the new Hub and Spoke program. This program brings providers -- "spokes" -- together around one "hub" to make treatment more efficient. Amanda Cowan is the Outreach Director for this project at Clare/MATRIX. Her phone number is 323-933-2289. Her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Allison Towle, the District Director in State Senator Ben Allen's office, spoke about current opioid legislation. There are 14 bills currently active in CA. There is now an Amendment to SB Bill 486, tightening controls on Recovery Houses, that needs constituent support. The best way to support this bill is for groups or individuals to write letters addressed to the primary author Senator Patricia Bates. Her legislative director Sarah Couch is collecting letters of support and can receive them at her email address: Sarah.Couch@sen.ca.gov. The Bill can be found here: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201920200SB486.
3. The Los Angeles Field Division of the DEA sent Jena Fellenzer, their Community Outreach Specialist. She is interested in getting into any high schools to make her presentation about drug use prevention outreach and education. Anyone with points of contact can reach Jenna at 213-621-6948 or by email at Jena.L.Fellenzer@usdoj.gov.
4. Captain Haro from the Los Angeles Fire Department spoke about her field experience handling overdoses. She noted that if civilians make the decision to purchase NARCAN (brand name for Naloxone) to keep on hand for a family or community member, they need to be properly trained. In the best circumstances, NARCAN can reverse an opioid overdose. Anyone who has suffered an overdose NEEDS to be evaluated medically at an ER. 911 should be called immediately.
Training for the use of NARCAN can be acquired here: http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/sapc/prevention/PM/092718/HHCLAODPPresentation.pdf
DIABLO CANYON -- TEST IT NOW
We have only days for the state to conduct independent safety testing of the Diablo Canyon Nuclear Unit I, located about 170 miles outside of L.A., while it is shut down for refueling. Please sign this petition to the Governor.
A Fukushima-like meltdown would cause a mass migration out of California, and because coastal winds always blow inland, Diablo's radioactive clouds would irradiate and poison the fruits and vegetables that flourish in our fantastic Central Growing Valley. Diablo's radioactive clouds would also contaminate the drinking water that flows from the Sierra Mountains, through the Central Valley and into cities like San Francisco and Los Angeles.
If there is a meltdown at Diablo, much of California and its economy would be destroyed.
Click here to read the letter PPDC is sending and that you can send to elected officials.
RESTART L.A. GAS PLANTS? NO WAY
California is aiming for 100% clean energy. But Los Angeles might invest billions in fossil fuels -- Los Angeles Times
From Mike Bonin: "I am 100% with environmental activists on this. It’s certainly not an issue without complexity, but I simply cannot support reinvesting more money in fossil fuels. We’re killing our planet. I’d encourage you to endorse the letter" (that PPDC has indeed endorsed -- read it here). Learn more about the issue here:
2/12/19 UPDATE: Great news: We seem to have won on this! Again according to the L.A. Times,
Los Angeles is abandoning a plan to spend billions of dollars rebuilding three natural gas power plants along the coast, Mayor Eric Garcetti said Monday, in a move to get the city closer to its goal of 100% renewable energy and improve air quality in highly polluted communities. (Full article here)
Or read about it here: http://www.palisadesnews.com/index.php/2019/02/13/power-plants-shut-down/
Nice to have good news for a change. All thanks to the activism of people like you who made their voices heard.
WE NEED A BETTER WAY TO FIGHT FIRES
The Palisades Dem Club is supporting the idea, proposed by our friends at the Malibu Dem Club, of a California Fire Reserve Corps. Read the proposal here (scroll down to middle of page -- whole page is filled with great ideas).
PPDC has also endorsed Physicians for a National Healthcare Plan's call to action regarding a new Medicare-for-All bill Rep. Pramila Jayapal plans to introduce in the House. Read about it here and let's all follow their advice and make some calls!
• Supreme Court -- Without winning back the Senate, this is a tough one. Click here to see the many letters we sent to Senators in opposition to the Kavanaugh nomination.
COMPLETED ACTIONS follow -- thank you for your participation!
For months MoveOn.org organized rapid-response rallies in the event that Mueller, Rosenstein, or Sessions got fired -- as happened November 7 with the forced resignation of Sessions.
Rallies all around L.A. were held at 5 PM on November 8
• Thanks to all who helped flip the House from red to blue at our Westside Dem HQ or local phone bank (Pac Pal, Santa Monica, Brentwood, Cuver City).
• You said NO to AB 84 by calling Senate Elections Committee.
OPPOSE the State Senate's taking up AB 84. Stop corporations and wealthy interests from the power grab that allows them to circumvent campaign finance laws and amass power within our state legislature.
UPDATE 8/24/18: Ding dong, the bill is dead...
Congratulations to all who called -- it worked!
This one didn't go our way, but we tried. Click here for more information