YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE
There are so many things you can do. We'll keep things simple. Bookmark this page, and come back for what you can do NOW:
Follow-up to June 18, 2020 George Gascón town hall
** George Gascón **
for L.A. County District Attorney
Thu., June 18, 2020, 7 – 8 PM
Follow-up to our June 16, 2020 event
Our Public Schools: Meeting New Challenges & Moving Forward
with LAUSD board member Nick Melvoin, Palisades Charter High School Black Student Union President Kalkidan Alemayehu, and PPDC's Susan Haskell
Below are some of the organizations and sources mentioned during the event. We hope you will check them out and take action!
- To sign the petition to support Assembly Bill 331 for ethnic studies in schools go to ethnicstudiesnow.com
- To learn more about anti-racism and how to take a more active and participatory stance for racial justice go to awarela.org/white-people-4-black-lives
- To learn more about and ally with Black Lives Matter go to blmla.org
- To volunteer for the upcoming elections go to westsidedemhq.org
- If you have not already, please immediately fill out the census and share with your family and friends. The census determines how much federal money the state and our communities receive. 2020census.gov
- To purchase your 2020 Election merchandise and find out about upcoming Pacific Palisades Democratic Club events please visit our website at www.palidems.org
With the new reality of Covid19, our first priority at the Westside Democratic HQ is to keep all of us safe and healthy. We have suspended all in-person events, such as phone banks, trainings, fundraisers, and meetings. We'll continue to follow the guidelines laid out by Governor Newsom, the L.A. County Public Health Department, and the CDC.
But, our work goes on! To protect our democracy, our planet, and our public health, we need a Democratic House, Senate, and President! Few things have made Trump and McConnell's incompetence more clear than their mishandling of this crisis.
All of our phonebanks have gone virtual. We start each session with a brief Zoom conference to talk about who we're calling and catch up with each other, and if people want, we do a little happy hour at the end to talk about our calls and enjoy some much-needed camaraderie. If you’re home and wanting a break from the news or family life or whatever else is going on for you — WE NEED YOU!
And we have nearly daily opportunities to participate.
Click on the day and time below that works best for you to sign up:
Monday 4 – 6 & 6 – 8:30 PM
Tuesday 6 – 9 PM
Thursday 6 – 8:30 PM
Every other Sunday
You can call from home anytime between 10 AM and 9 PM.
Links and calling information are available from us when you sign up.
If you are interested in sending postcards, we can help you do that! We have addresses for Mark Kelly in AZ and to encourage folks to sign up to vote by mail in Florida.
If you are interested in volunteering from home,
please click here to let us know what you'd like to do,
and we'll be in touch to get you started!
🙌WE HAVE TEXTING!
We led the charge to make 130 thousand texts to voters in the CA 25 May 12th election!
Sign up here to join our Text Team
No experience necessary — we'll train you.
Volunteer to make calls and write postcards!
Help us elect Democrats across the country! Right now, we’re calling into Arizona to increase voter turnout by encouraging Democratic voters to sign up to vote by mail. When people get mail-in ballots, they vote. Even more important now! If we can increase Democratic voter turnout while keeping voters safe, we’ll win. And we're also calling AZ to help elect Mark Kelly and flip the Senate!
We'll have calls into North Carolina for Cal Cunningham and calls for Joe Biden available very soon — watch this space!
To keep our activism social, we'll have a Zoom call check in at the beginning, and a virtual happy hour at the end of each shift! And, postcard writers and texters, join us for the social time! Contact us for addresses, and postcards and stamps if you need them.
For calling, you'll need a phone plus a laptop, tablet or desktop computer.
The Westside Dem HQ is a coalition of local Democratic clubs, including Democrats for Israel - Los Angeles, the Heart of L.A., Malibu, Pacific Palisades, Progressive Democrats of the Santa Monica Mountains, Santa Monica, Stonewall, West L.A., Westchester-Playa and Westside Young Democrats Dem Clubs. Contact us if you're interested in joining!
Clean Money -- get big $$ out of politics!
Excited about the prospects of a Green New Deal?
The PaliDems are, and we've sent letters
to Sens. Feinstein and Harris, along with Rep. Ted Lieu, to urge them to champion it. Read our letter here, and if you're inspired, call the Congressional switchboard at 202-224-3121 to tell their offices how you feel!
More background here on why Republicans are attacking the very idea of a GND.
Follow-up to our March 26, 2019
Hot Topic Speaker Series event
Addicted: The Opioid Crisis in Our Backyard
Post-event action items:
1. Clare/MATRIX is a substance-abuse nonprofit in Santa Monica. It is also one of only two state licensed "hubs" for the new Hub and Spoke program. This program brings providers -- "spokes" -- together around one "hub" to make treatment more efficient. Amanda Cowan is the Outreach Director for this project at Clare/MATRIX. Her phone number is 323-933-2289. Her email address is email@example.com.
2. Allison Towle, the District Director in State Senator Ben Allen's office, spoke about current opioid legislation. There are 14 bills currently active in CA. There is now an Amendment to SB Bill 486, tightening controls on Recovery Houses, that needs constituent support. The best way to support this bill is for groups or individuals to write letters addressed to the primary author Senator Patricia Bates. Her legislative director Sarah Couch is collecting letters of support and can receive them at her email address: Sarah.Couch@sen.ca.gov. The Bill can be found here: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201920200SB486.
3. The Los Angeles Field Division of the DEA sent Jena Fellenzer, their Community Outreach Specialist. She is interested in getting into any high schools to make her presentation about drug use prevention outreach and education. Anyone with points of contact can reach Jenna at 213-621-6948 or by email at Jena.L.Fellenzer@usdoj.gov.
4. Captain Haro from the Los Angeles Fire Department spoke about her field experience handling overdoses. She noted that if civilians make the decision to purchase NARCAN (brand name for Naloxone) to keep on hand for a family or community member, they need to be properly trained. In the best circumstances, NARCAN can reverse an opioid overdose. Anyone who has suffered an overdose NEEDS to be evaluated medically at an ER. 911 should be called immediately.
Training for the use of NARCAN can be acquired here: http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/sapc/prevention/PM/092718/HHCLAODPPresentation.pdf
DIABLO CANYON -- TEST IT NOW
We have only days for the state to conduct independent safety testing of the Diablo Canyon Nuclear Unit I, located about 170 miles outside of L.A., while it is shut down for refueling. Please sign this petition to the Governor.
A Fukushima-like meltdown would cause a mass migration out of California, and because coastal winds always blow inland, Diablo's radioactive clouds would irradiate and poison the fruits and vegetables that flourish in our fantastic Central Growing Valley. Diablo's radioactive clouds would also contaminate the drinking water that flows from the Sierra Mountains, through the Central Valley and into cities like San Francisco and Los Angeles.
If there is a meltdown at Diablo, much of California and its economy would be destroyed.
Click here to read the letter PPDC is sending and that you can send to elected officials.
RESTART L.A. GAS PLANTS? NO WAY
California is aiming for 100% clean energy. But Los Angeles might invest billions in fossil fuels -- Los Angeles Times
From Mike Bonin: "I am 100% with environmental activists on this. It’s certainly not an issue without complexity, but I simply cannot support reinvesting more money in fossil fuels. We’re killing our planet. I’d encourage you to endorse the letter" (that PPDC has indeed endorsed -- read it here). Learn more about the issue here:
2/12/19 UPDATE: Great news: We seem to have won on this! Again according to the L.A. Times,
Los Angeles is abandoning a plan to spend billions of dollars rebuilding three natural gas power plants along the coast, Mayor Eric Garcetti said Monday, in a move to get the city closer to its goal of 100% renewable energy and improve air quality in highly polluted communities. (Full article here)
Or read about it here: http://www.palisadesnews.com/index.php/2019/02/13/power-plants-shut-down/
Nice to have good news for a change. All thanks to the activism of people like you who made their voices heard.
WE NEED A BETTER WAY TO FIGHT FIRES
The Palisades Dem Club is supporting the idea, proposed by our friends at the Malibu Dem Club, of a California Fire Reserve Corps. Read the proposal here (scroll down to middle of page -- whole page is filled with great ideas).
PPDC has also endorsed Physicians for a National Healthcare Plan's call to action regarding a new Medicare-for-All bill Rep. Pramila Jayapal plans to introduce in the House. Read about it here and let's all follow their advice and make some calls!
• Supreme Court -- Without winning back the Senate, this is a tough one. Click here to see the many letters we sent to Senators in opposition to the Kavanaugh nomination.
COMPLETED ACTIONS follow -- thank you for your participation!
For months MoveOn.org organized rapid-response rallies in the event that Mueller, Rosenstein, or Sessions got fired -- as happened November 7 with the forced resignation of Sessions.
Rallies all around L.A. were held at 5 PM on November 8
• Thanks to all who helped flip the House from red to blue at our Westside Dem HQ or local phone bank (Pac Pal, Santa Monica, Brentwood, Cuver City).
• You said NO to AB 84 by calling Senate Elections Committee.
OPPOSE the State Senate's taking up AB 84. Stop corporations and wealthy interests from the power grab that allows them to circumvent campaign finance laws and amass power within our state legislature.
UPDATE 8/24/18: Ding dong, the bill is dead...
Congratulations to all who called -- it worked!
This one didn't go our way, but we tried. Click here for more information