Our June 16 Newtown documentary screening was an extraordinary event. Here's a list of ACTIONS you can take to support sensible, long-overdue gun-control legislation.
ACTION ITEMS TO END GUN VIOLENCE
1. Go to regulations.gov/comment?D=ATF-2018-0002-0001 and submit a comment on the pending federal rule outlawing "bump stock" devices. Below is a sample text you may edit or cut and paste. Deadline June 26.
I urge the ATF to finalize its proposed rule clarifying that bump-fire stocks, along with other "conversion devices" that enable semiautomatic weapons to mimic automatic fire, qualify as "machine guns" under the National Firearms Act and are generally illegal to possess.
2. Stop a Trump proposal that moves oversight for firearms from the State Department to the Department of Commerce by sending comments to the State Department: regulations.gov/comment?D=DOS-2017-0046-0001 and Commerce Dept.: regulations.gov/comment?D=BIS-2017-0004-0001. Below is a sample text you may edit or cut and paste.
I am writing in opposition to moving export license oversight for firearms from the Department of State to the Department of Commerce. The proposed rule also: eliminates Congressional oversight for important gun export deals; transfers the cost of processing licenses from gun manufacturers to taxpayers; and, enables unchecked gun production in the U.S. and exports abroad by removing the block on 3D printing of firearms. The proposal reduces transparency and reporting on gun exports and transfers gun export licensing from an agency with a mission to promote stability, conflict reduction, and human rights, to an agency with a mission to promote trade and which lacks the resources to adequately enforce export controls.
3. Call your California state senator (findyourrep.legislature.ca.gov) to tell them to vote YES on Assembly Bill 2103 – Firearms: license to carry concealed. AB 2103 will require live-fire training for all concealed permit holders.
4. Call Congressman Ted Lieu at 202-225-3976 to voice your support for House Resolution 4240 -- Public Safety and Second Amendment Rights Protection Act. Representative Lieu is a co-sponsor of H.R. 4240, which expands background checks to all commercial firearm sales including at gun shows, online, and in classified ads. Call his district office at 323-651-1040 to learn more about other gun legislation he has co-sponsored and how to help get it passed.
5. For Students: Text STUDENTS to 644-33 to join Students Demand Action.
Newtownfilm.com has a national campaign to end gun violence that you can join to create the change we need now.
The Violence Policy Center, vpc.org, is a national educational organization working to stop gun death and injury.
Everytown for Gun Safety, everytown.org, is a movement of Americans working together to end gun violence and build safer communities. They have teamed up with students across the country to launch Students Demand Action.
If you are inspired to support Newtown director Kim Snyder’s upcoming film about the Parkland students, please make a check out to "IDA" with "Untitled Parkland Project" in the memo line. Checks can be mailed to:
International Documentary Association
3470 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 980
Los Angeles, CA 90010
Attention: Toni Bell